Friday, February 8, 2013

Indigo Turtle: storefront selling experience

In August 2011 my mom, sister, and I found out that a family friend and her daughter had opened a  fair trade, American-/local-made store called Indigo Turtle (unfortunately it's no longer open).

They offered to let us hawk our wares as the featured artists on the night of the monthly "art walk" so we jumped at the chance! We did a ~female family members~ art showing:

  • My mom brought some of her beautiful watercolor paintings. Over the years she has worked with lots of different mediums on paper, but this is her latest phase :)
  • My sister brought a small sampling of her a*m*a*z*i*n*g crocheted, knitted, and origami work.
  • I brought a dozen or so necklaces, of all different stone materials, metal types, and lengths.


 Love stores like this! I can't help ducking into them even if I am pressed for time.

Our table spread: watercolors; knitted,crocheted, and origami items; and jewelry.

We took turns manning the table and reconvened over some freshly made pizza later in the evening. It was really great catching up on old and new times while strolling around and looking at all the other shops and local-made items. It was also nice being able to talk with people who came into the shop; a personal experience that's different from selling online.

At the end of the night our hosts kindly let us leave our things in the shop and, to my surprise, all my items sold over the next month or so! Talk about motivational! Some really unique stuff was there: memory wire necklaces, foiled-glass hearts, floral beads, turquoise, fire crab agate, goldstone....ummm I don't even know any more! I know I have close-up pictures of some of them but I think they're on a different computer. I'll try to hunt them up and post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment